Sunday, January 25, 2009

What can you do.

As I hug a friend in church today she whispered in my ear " I am like you now". I wondered what she meant when she confirmed that she is getting a divorce. I was sadden and begged her to reconsidered as it is not a pleasent place to be. She assures me that she has tried everything, but the choice is still comes back to the same.

I don't understand why our marriages can not stand the test of time, why we can't work it out, do what ever it takes to stay together. Is it the distractions in life, is it the contentment with life, is it that we just don't care anymore or is it that we don't have to try if we don't want to.

I look at my parents, my ex in-laws, people of my mother's generations who can boost about 20 years, 35 years 50 years of marriage. That in spite of life turns and trails they are still celebrating wedding anniversaries. How is this possible then and not now. What has changed so much that it no longer works. I really can't find the answer.

I wonder if this is a disease, an epidemic, how can we change this, how can we leave guide lines for those marriages that are in trouble. Can we point them onto the right path, what advices can we give them to keep on trying.

I just wish I had a magic wand to make things ok but I know they only way for all of this to work is trusting in God. Honestly, if it had not been for God in my life I don't know how I would have made it. There were and still are days when there is no one, nothing to lean on then I remember God and his love. He has been there for me from the beginning and I will never let go.

No comments: